I love bread.
I love baking it, I love eating it, I love trying new recipes. The smell of bread yeast is one of my favourite smells.
I’ve been on a big sourdough kick (gotta keep that started alive and well) but I also frequently make French bread using the easiest, foolproof recipe ever c/o Modern Honey. Honestly, I found this recipe about a year ago and I haven’t used any other since.
I decided to use the recipe and jazz it up by adding raisins, cinnamon, and rolling it into bagels. I omit the egg wash to make it plant based but feel free to add an egg wash before you bake your bagels.
Cinnamon Raisin Bagels
• In a small bowl, cover 1/2 cup raisins with warm water and a dash of vanilla. Let soak for about half an hour.
• In a separate bowl, mix 1 tbsp active yeast with 1/4 cup warm water. Let stand until frothy.
• In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix 1 cup warm water, 1/6 cup oil, 1.5 tbsp sugar, 3.5 cups of flour, the yeast mixture, 1 tsp salt and 1 tbsp cinnamon. Knead until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl and forms a ball. Drain the liquid from the raisins, then knead them into the dough.
• divide the dough into 6 equal balls and roll out into long ropes, then shape into bagels.
• Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Set bagels on a baking sheet and allow to rise while the over preheats. Bake for about 20-25 mins or until the tops start to turn golden brown.
• let cool slightly then cut and top with whatever you want!