I made up a recipe for zucchini muffins – and it worked! I wanted something that was plant-based and low on sugar. I think they turned out great! My kids are iffy on them*, maybe because they aren’t overtly sweet… but whatever, more for me!
*update: my son gave them a chance, discovered he really liked them, and has eaten at least half of the batch in a matter of hours. Guess I need to make a secret batch for myself…
• 2 cups grated zucchini
• 1/2 cup brown sugar
• 3 flax eggs (3 tbsp flax meal + 9 tbsp water, mix then let stand until it becomes like a jelly)
• 1/3 cup vegetable oil (coconut oil might give it a nice flavour…definitely trying that next time!)
• 1 cup flour
• 1/2 cup quick oats
• 1/3 cup wheat bran
• 1 1/2 tbsp vanilla
• 1 tsp each of baking soda + baking powder
• Generous dash of allspice
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Shred your zucchini then try and squeeze as much liquid out of it as you can. Mix all of the above ingredients together until combined. Scoop into a greased muffin tin.
2. Bake for about 20 mins. Take out and let cool until you can handle them then flip them upside down in the tin and bake for another 15-20 mins. This second bake will help dry out the muffins and keep them from falling apart in your hands.